Whether for lunch or for dinner, you will rarely find a “tourist restaurant” in Monti.
Located right in the historic center of Rome, in between via Nazionale and via Cavour you will find the Monti district, which today is probably the most fashionable district of Rome with its winding roads and bohemian artisan shops.
It has become a real culinary laboratory with the most innovative restaurants in the city. Here you can taste all kinds of different cuisines; from traditional Roman to Japanese-Mexican fusion, from Japanese to Indian. In short, it is a real vortex of high-quality restaurants to suit every taste.
These are our preferred restaurants in the Monti District:
- Asino d’oro – Sophisticated cuisine at absolutely honest prices. The chef Lucio Sforza offers dishes from Rome and the Umbria region. Lombrichelli with black tartufo and anchovies, meat balls of beef with pumpkin and fruity mustard sauce, and you simply have to try the drunken hen. Lunch offer at only 13 Euro.
Via del Boschetto, 73
Tel. +39 06.48913832-06.4824927
Closed: Monday, Sunday
Price 35 €
- Valentino – Also known as the “scamorzaro” this is the perfect place for all lovers of the Scamorza (cheese made of spun paste, or “pasta filata”), which will be prepared for you in a thousand different ways – melted with vegetables, with prosciutto or accompanied by nuts and gorgonzola. Classic entrées from the Roman cuisine and excellent Danish meat.
Via del Boschetto, 37
Tel. +39 06.4880643
Price 25 €
- Guru – Among the numerous Indian restaurants in the area this is our favorite. The “master” of Indian cuisine will spoil you with specialties from the Kerala gastronomy. Apart from the possibility to choose from the menu there are also three sampling menus (meat, fish and vegetarian).
Via Antonio Cimarra, 4
Tel. +39 06.4744110
Closed: always open for dinner
Price: 25 €
- Hasekura – The realm of chef Ito Kimiji is among the best “real” japonese restaurants. Super fresh Sushi and Sashimi, tasty soba spaghetti in fish broth, delicious rolls filled with crab meat. If you love the Japonese cuisine you should not miss the Hasekura.
Via dei Serpenti, 27
Tel. +39 06.483648
Closed: Sunday and Monday for lunch
Price: 35-40 €
- Urbana 47 – This gastronomic laboratori is furnished like a loft in New York in Minimalist design and attention to detail. You can observe the chefs through the open kitchen and see them prepare and cook the handpicked local ingredients. It is all very tasty and carefully prepared. Don’t miss the Ravioli filled with ricotta and wild herbs with capers and olives from Gaeta.
Via Urbana, 47
Tel. +39 06.47884006
Price 45 €
- Chicco di grano – A characteristic and welcoming Pizzeria located directly in the center of the Monti district. A wonderful patio space to take advantage of in the warmer season. The Pizzas from the wood-fired oven are simply excellent, prepared with genuine ingredients.
Via degli Zingari, 5/8
- Barrique – An excellent wine bar where you can also have dinner on wodden tables that conserve the authentic spirit of the Osteria. Rich wooden boards with cut cheeses and cold cuts, and fettuccine with lamb ragout as an entree that you simply must try.
Via del Boschetto, 41/b
Tel. +39 06.47825953
Price 30 €
- Ai Tre Scalini – Bottiglieria dal 1895 – A hot venue that is always packed in the evening with people stopping for an aperitivo. The beautiful Canadian-red grape-vine on the building’s exterior gives the place a very suggestive atmosphere. Perfect for a glass of wine and a board with cold cuts for an evening with friends.
Via Panisperna, 251
Tel. +39 06. 0648907495
Closed: always open
Price: 20 €
- Tamakinho – After the great success in Milan, the restaurant, Temakinho has now opened its door in Rome in the Monti District. One of the most innovative restaurants in the area offers an original Japanese-Mexican fusion cuisine. Sushi, temaki and tartar enjoyed with drinks mixed with freshly sqeezed fruit juices. You should absolutely try it!
Via dei Serpenti, 16
Tel. +39 06.42016656
Price 25-30 €
….10. Trattoria Monti – One of the best restaurants in the city! In this family-run tavern from another era you can experience a great cuisine from the Marche region.
Freshly prepared hand-made Ravioli with egg and white tartufo, duck in an orange-caramel marinade, heavenly pork, all incredibly tasty dishes. Leave some space for dessert as they are superb. In short, a real paradise for all gourmets.
Book in advance.
Via San Vito, 13/a
Tel. +39 06.4466573
Closed: Monday, Sunday evening
Price 45 €
Monti can be reached comfortably by taking the Metro B to Cavour or by bus (n. 75, 84, 117, 204).
If you have tried one or more of these restaurants let me know what you think about them.
Would you add another restaurant to the list?